Last Updated on
All hunters, whether just once-in-a-while outdoorsmen or serious hunters looking to fill the freezer, are looking for the best, most affordable supplies available for the hunting experience. Most smaller, local sporting goods stores carry a limited supply of hunting equipment but aren’t able to offer the variety or lower pricing of the larger stores. The top five hunting supply stores, listed here in alphabetical order, have everything a hunter dreams of and more.
1. Academy Sports and Outdoors – This Texas-based store has been around since the late 1930s, originally selling only tires and military surplus as a small family business. Since that time, they have grown to over 175 stores specializing in providing the best in hunting supplies along with a host of other sports. Their stores are located in 13 states in the south and Midwest and employ over 22,000 associates.
2. Bass Pro Shops – Don’t let the name fool you. This store not only carries fishing supplies, but has also expanded to include a wide range of anything a hunter could need. Fairly new to the genre of sporting goods stores as compared to others, since their creation in 1971 their growth rate has been phenomenal; they currently have stores across the U.S. and Canada. A visit to one of these stores is an experience the whole family will enjoy.
3. Cabela’s – Touted as the world’s foremost outfitter, this store has grown from its humble beginnings in 1961 in Nebraska to the largest mail-order, retail and internet outdoor supply store anywhere. Their hunting department is second to none. Besides stores throughout the U.S., their catalogs go out to all 50 states and 125 countries. They do offer a military discount to servicemen and women so be sure to ask.
4. Dick’s Sporting Goods – In 1948, this store began as an Army Surplus in Binghamton, New York and gradually added the items outdoorsmen were looking for. They now boast over 500 stores that carry all the latest in hunting equipment and supplies, with well-trained and enthusiastic personnel ready to lend a hand in getting you outfitted.
5. Gander Mountain – Their motto is ‘We live outdoors’ and they back up that motto by offering anything and everything a hunter could want or need. From camo clothing, duck blinds and decoys, deer stands, and more, it can be found here. Most of their 127 stores have a professional gunsmith on-site who is readily available for repairs or simply to answer any questions pertaining to guns and ammo.
Each of these stores is dedicated to making your hunting and outdoor experience as safe and enjoyable as possible by offering top-quality goods at reasonable, affordable prices. If you don’t have one of these stores located nearby, each has an excellent website to make shopping for your hunting supplies and equipment quick and easy. Keep in mind, though, that federal regulations prohibit the shipment of firearms and ammunition to individuals who do not hold a Federal Firearms License.
Tyler Sims is the owner of tylersims.com, a premier outfitter in Wyoming elk and antelope hunting.